Thursday 1 December 2016

Ethical Standards of Practice

I'm about to view a video of a lesson being taught to a group of students by a teacher.  Both the students and teacher are unknown to me.  We have been asked, before viewing the video, to review the Ontario College of Teachers' Professional Standards of Practice which are:

Respect
Care
Integrity
Trust

We have been asked to reflect on how we can uphold these ethical standards when observing and discussing student learning and educational practices.

First, when viewing another teacher in her or his practice, I will always speak about that person's work with integrity - focussing on the craft of teaching, not personal attributes.  I will also keep under consideration that I don't know anything about this person's personal issues, relationships with their students or administration or any other things off screen that could be affecting their practice.  I will also assume that each teacher is doing their utmost to also uphold the OCT Standards of Practice.

I will also be applying these principles to viewing the students on screen.  I will be caring in my comments and observations.  I will speak with integrity and honesty and I will also be worthy of the trust the public has assigned to me.  I will be respectful of all abilities, cultures and backgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment