Saturday 7 January 2017

A traditional math lesson

We had to read a description of a traditional math lesson and then talk about our connections to it as either a student or teacher.  The lesson described has the teacher asking the students to pull out their homework from the previous day.  The teacher walks down the rows checking to see who completed it.  The teacher then calls out the answers for each question while the students check their work.  Following that, the teacher does two new questions on the board outlining the steps to complete each question and then assigns new questions.

My connections to this lesson come straight out of my elementary school days.  While I really liked math and did well in it, it was based in rote learning.  The difference from the lesson above was that we were encouraged during the take-up of work to share our answers on the board.  This was also done during the lesson phase sometimes.  I don't remember many word-based problems and I don't recall doing any collaborative work.  There was almost always some homework that repeated the questions we did in class.

I can't connect to this as a teacher because I haven't taught math this way.  I have seen other teachers teach this way but it is often mixed with some collaborative learning and lots of teacher attention while students do their textbook work.

No comments:

Post a Comment